Monday, October 13, 2008

Chicon Glacier Hike

Welcome back!
 I have been anxiously awaiting the chance to update this blog for the past two weeks, because I have so many pictures and experiences I want to share with you! I can hardly believe it's been over a month since I arrived here in Cusco... But then, the speed at which time flies has never ceased to amaze me, so it probably shouldn't surprise me at all.
In the midst of classes, projects, and other random events that ProPeru keeps throwing at us, a few weekends ago we took off for a weekend to Urubamba, about an hour and a half outside of Cusco. We had a glacier hike in mind, Chicon glacier, but didn't really know exactly what we were getting into when we left. Little did I know it would turn out to be one of the most challenging and yet exhilarating experiences of my life.
Before we go any farther, I'll have you know that I was very nearly the only one of our group not from the midwest or east coast of the United States - our 'hometown' of Cusco, at 11,000 feet, is about the highest most of the girls have ever been. A very important fact, considering that when we returned and calculated the actual hight, it turned out to be 18,143 feet above sea level.
The hike took two days in all, and even then we barely made it down before dark on Sunday. We were led by six Peruvian guides, ages 12 - 19, who were amazed that 7 gringas were going to attempt to hike a glacier. But they were amazing, and carried all our food and water and snacks on their backs, cooking wonderfully filling Peruvian dishes for us over campfires at night. Without them, I can't imagine how we would have made it without falling off a cliff or getting lost!
After hiking nearly straight up for the entire first day, we camped at 16,000 feet for the night. It was absolutely awe-inspiring  - in spite of the lack of oxygen and the frigid cold, there was no place else I'd have rather been. And if the fresh air (though it was thin) and excersize weren't enough, I got to witness the first sunset I had seen since coming to Peru - and it was one of the most breathtaking, jaw-dropping majestic I have ever seen. I could hardly believe my eyes, and I was the one standing on a cliff watching it. I put some pictures up, but I can hardly say they capture it. 
After spending the night in the mud/straw hut at our camp, all squished together to keep warm, we rose early to make the final ascent to the glacier. This part was hardest, because every few steps we had to stop to breathe. (Our guides could have done the whole thing in one day, but they were pretty patient with us.)  By the time we reached the top, we were celebrating - we had a snow/ice fight with our guides, we slid on the ice, and marveled at the different colored rocks. The rocks were alternately blood red, deep or baby blue, emerald green, grey and sparkling black. Quite the unexpected surprise! 
The long hike down took us by a different route, which side cut across the cliffs east of the glacier. As we descended, a good portion of the trip was taken sitting down - just start sliding and stop when you hit the person (or rock) in front of you. 
In the end, I would have to chock it up to one of the best experiences of my life. In spite of the fact that I ate cheese for breakfast every morning that made me incredibly ill, I enjoyed every minute of it. Oh, to be able to show you the reality of everything you could see from up there without dragging you up those 18,000 feet yourself! But on the other hand, the accomplishment made the view at the top that much more beautiful, so you'll just have to come here to Peru and hike it with me again. I'd love that more than anything. 

Remember: Glaciers come highly recommended! 
Enjoy a few pictures, and once again - drop me a note and let me know of all the goings-on in your life right now. 
Thank you for your prayers and thoughts, and I am so glad to be able to share a few experiences with you through the internet!

1 comment:

Ginnie said...

awesome!! peru is great!