Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Days

What a blurr this first week has been! If every week proves to contain this many new experiences, the next four months will be the experience of a lifetime. Everything here is going well- classes started, and though difficult (four hours in the morning, three at night), it's nice to get some structure to the chaos of learning Spanish. My family is wonderful, and look after me as though I were their own granddaughter. Atilio especially is patient,and spends hours talking to me in Spanish. Nora loves to cook, which is absolutely essential in this culture. I have yet to taste something that I don't like, and everything is incredibly fresh and much healthier than I am used to. Meals are a big deal, and lunch on average takes an hour and a half, with a daily siesta following. I have had something new and strange nearly every single day since coming here!

I'll try and highlight a few things real quick; it's hard to know what to say when everything is so new and exciting! For our first project day, we went to a village called Conchacalla, about an hour and a half outside of Cusco in the Andes. We went to build them a stove and a bathroom for their school; the first their village has seen. It was really neat to see what eight "gringitas" could accomplish when pouring cement and hauling bricks. We were an unexpected surprise to the children, and our cameras a novelty. They clamored all over us, begging for pictures (which we gladly took), and touching our white skin and pale hair. They were an striking blend of poverty and beauty - their little faces and hands chapped and deeply marked from the cold and lack of moisture. They ran around barefoot, and as we were building their first bathroom, sanitation was not a big priority.
But they loved it, and it was such a blessing to be able to work with them for a day! I love that about this program - we get to do hands on physical labor, which to me feels like missions work, while at the same time learning the language and living with a family.

Every day proves to be a new experience. This truly is a modern city building its future on the rich culture of the past - traditional and modern live together in almost perfect harmony. Even the 30-40 minute walk to and from school every day is an adventure! On Thursday, after dodging the millions of taxis that drive through the city at breakneck speeds, I had to jump out of the way for a traditionally dressed shepherdess driving her flock of sheep through the city. Llamas wander the streets at will, along with pigs and donkeys in the rural areas. But it is by no means strictly farmlands. Business men and women, prestigious schools and modern communities thrive alongside the traditional lifestyles. My school, which hosts professionals, students and locals with its computer labs, libraries, printshops and classrooms, was originally built by the Incas. Their hand cut stones still form the base, and top was rebuilt by the Spanish after they destroyed the Inca empire.

Well I don't want to overwhelm you and I'm at a friends house on her computer, so I'll wrap it up. I miss you all and would love to hear from you if you ever care to drop me a line via facebook, email or snail mail. I've thrown in a few pictures, but they hardly come close to capturing the reality they reflect! They're also out of order, but they'll give you a small idea of what it is like here. Hope this blog finds you well, and God Bless!
Nikki

1 comment:

Katrina Campbell said...

Oh wow, Nikki, it sounds soo amazing!! I'm so excited that your family is so wonderful, and it looks like you're making some friends! Love all the pictures of the kids!! I'm so glad you grabbed a hold of this opportunity, I hope the rest of it continues to be as amazing as the first week has been! I love you and miss you SO MUCH!! be careful, and continue to do amazing things!! love you!!